[WikiEN-l] The 3-revert rule

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Mar 9 00:49:50 UTC 2004

Delirium wrote:

> Bjorn Lindqvist wrote:
>
>> What a minute!
>>
>> When *I* voted on that poll some week ago, the poll was about whether
>> there should be a *guideline* that reads "do not do more than three
>> reverts" or not. Nowhere on that page did it say that the poll really
>> was about whether to allow admins to block a user that reverts three
>> times or not.
>> Many of the 51+ persons that has voted probably did not either
>> understand that the vote was about bannings. If that is what the vote
>> is about and not just a guideline.
>
> While that's true, I'd still like it to be decreed as a rule.  If we
> sit around for another vote, nothing will ever get done.

I prefer guidelines instead of rules.  The people who set about to
"enforce" a rule can easily be as much of a problem as those they are
criticising.  Admittedly, some of those same people see very little
difference between a guideline and a rule.

> Either that, or people need to stop whining to the arbitration
> committee about people who revert a lot.  Either come up with
> guidelines to fix the problem, or allow reverts to continue.  We can't
> simply ban people who revert a lot who we don't like, and allow
> reverts in general to go unpunished.  I, for one, will be voting
> against any bans for "excessive reverting" on the arbitration
> committee, as I do not feel this is a problem to be solved on a
> case-by-case basis.

I agree that these matters need to be considered on a case-by-case
basis.  A person who engages in a protracted revert war on a single
article is very different from one who repeatedly does this across a
broad range of articles.

Ec