[WikiEN-l] Re: Columbia encyclopedia article titles

Tomos at Wikipedia wiki_tomos at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 5 01:25:59 UTC 2004

If my 2cents count here, Ray's position sounds quite reasonable to me, too.
If Jimbo is the one taking the legal risk, and if he honestly thinks that it
falls under fair use, then I think we should let him work on the list.

At Japanese wikipedia, we sometimes talk about taking legal risks. Current
understanding is that if administrators are too cautious taking risks (or
too bold) and other users do not like it, the users recall the admins, and
find substitute who can take reasonable risk.

This idea is again, because admins are far more likely to be sued for
knowingly keeping suspected copyvio, obscene, defamatory, or other allegedly
illegal material available - more so than other users.

We take admins' opinions a bit more seriously when it comes to risk. But
admins have to serve the users, so if they think their idea of reasonable
risk is too far away from other users', then they should resign.

I think there is little dispute regarding Jimbo's good leadership and
contribution, and there is no need for recall or resignation. So we can
support his move.

If Columbia comes to notify us, then we would discuss again.

Regards,

Tomos