[WikiEN-l] Columbia Encyclopedia titles

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Tue Mar 2 13:42:05 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Yesterday I did this little comparison that Jimmy Wales asked me to
> do, to see how large our encyclopedia would be if we covered the same
> topics as Columbia.
>
> Among other things, the result revealed that about half of their
> article titles do not have corresponding titles on Wikipedia.
>
> My question is whether we want to do something about this (create
> redirects). I would like to dump the huge list of article titles we
> don't have onto some page in the Wikipedia namespace, and have our
> bulk of volunteers work through them and create redirects to the
> relevant pages, or mark some as "we *really* don't have something
> about this topic" if applicable.
>
> Would such an effort be warranted?

I once created a "list of encyclopedia topics", with ~100 000 entries
(collected from various sources), as about 30 pages, and all topics as
[[links]]. However, these pages were deactivated/removed, as displaying
them was very slow indeed.

I'm all for such a list with [[links]], but you'll probably have to
stretch them on a lot of pages (say, 100).

Magnus