Policy violations (was [WikiEN-l] Re: Violation of blocking policyby user "40277")

sannse sannse at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jun 25 17:51:53 UTC 2004

Ec wrote:

> James Marshall wrote:
>
> >Okee dokee, here are some of the violations I found in the recent
> >unpleasantness.  Some are more important than others, and some are
> >stronger cases than others.  But in no particular order, and in an ad hoc
> >format, here's what I came up with in the last couple of hours:
> >

> >First, not a violation, but Timwi specifically asked about policies
> >encouraging additions and discouraging deletions.  To clarify, I didn't
> >mean a hard-and-fast rule-- of course some deletions are good and some
> >additions are bad.  But it's a theme I picked up a few times on various
> >newbie and policy pages.  I'll see if I can find the references again.
> >
> >... OK, here are some:
> >
> (long snip)
>
> Please stop obsessing on this.  Notwithstanding the truth and validity
> of what you say people only go so far in reading this kind of stuff.
> Those who frequent the mailing lists have heard it all before, and can
> become impatient when it comes to reading these long diatribes of
> defence.  They are counterproductive to your cause.
>
> You would do better to simply devote your time to editing real
> articles.  Avoid hot-button items until after you have become better
> known, or have some track-record in less controversial areas.
>
> Ec

It's rather unfair - he's told that no one will look at this or will believe
that there is a problem unless he provides specific policies and describes
how they are being broken - and when he does he is told to shut up.

I think this case has said a lot about our community reaction to newbies,
I'm seriously considering starting a Save the Newbie campaign here.

--sannse