[WikiEN-l] Re: Terms of use

Martin Harper martin at myreddice.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Jun 22 17:50:34 UTC 2004

> As a practical matter, what difference will this make?

These specific terms would free us to be more relaxed about our page histories
(copyvio, etc), and more relaxed about stuff covered by our disclaimers (legal, financial,
medical advice, etx). To the extent that paranoia over such matters is a hindrance, this
is useful.

They also pave the way for additions with other benefits, notably improving our GFDL
position so that both we and our redistributors are on more solid ground. That's a very
real benefit, and goes to the heart of our "free encyclopedia" mission.

> Someone please proof-read it before making it official. :/

Someones did. Someones else then edited it. Try the page history.

> If there are no objections, I intend to add a notice to the terms of
> use page stating that it is not official policy.

I reverted to proposal status, given the comments of Tim and Angela, pending a
response to Angela's email. Oh well, you have to try, eh? In the meantime, I'm grateful
to Tim's [[MediaWiki:History copyright]] fix.

-Martin