[WikiEN-l] Re: Viability of the open model

Tim Starling ts4294967296 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 18 00:34:16 UTC 2004

Fred Bauder wrote:
 > The argument is that it is not necessary, after all, he is gone. There
 > is no longer any doubt that it is him.

Well let me clear that up. It's necessary, that's why I blocked his
known accounts. We're restricting the actions that can be taken with new
accounts, and the actions that can be taken with existing accounts are
sufficiently dangerous to warrant blocking.

> We are in panic mode from the Vandalbot. But it can easily be defeated with
> a few software changes. It creates a new user, then trashes, then creates a
> new user, then trashes. What is needed is a bit of software that prevents
> trashing an article by a new user. A real new user will not need to be
> moving or blanking pages anyway. They are busy learning how to use the
> system.
>
> (I actually don't know exactly what Wik's bot does)

We already put in a filter for page blanking, that's why he switched to
letter replacement.

-- Tim Starling