[WikiEN-l] Re: Fixed term sysops.

Rich Holton rich_holton at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 13 19:58:35 UTC 2004

--- Fennec Foxen <fennec at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 04:08:45 +0100, Timwi
> <timwi at gmx.net> wrote:
> > We are trying to, but I don't think that's really
> possible. We cannot
> > deny that sysops have additional privileges
> (that's the whole point).
> > This, almost by definition, triggers what I have
> outlined above.
>
> I disagree. Sysops don't have additional priveleges,
> but they have
> additional powers.
>
> <SNIP!>

> The sysop, ideally,
> does not do anything requiring general approval like
> deleting or
> banning. They're there to implement community
> decisions, not to make
> them.
>
> In theory, anyway. In theory, practice is the same
> as the theory, but
> in practice it is not. :) The point where this
> boundary becomes fuzzy
> is the cutting edge of Recent Changes, where it is
> clear that the
> community has decided that vandalism is bad and
> vandals should be
> blocked after being warned, but it's not entirely
> clear who is a
> vandal and what is vandalism (in some cases). Moving
> further away from
> this idealized little circle, we find the newly
> registered-for-trivial-vandalism username, simple
> trolls wanting
> trouble (naming themselves to confuse themselves
> with sysops, for
> example), and it continues on from there. Some of
> the actions taken in
> this area are not so much against policy as outside
> of policy, while
> some are clearly disallowed.

Add things like determining the outcome of a vote on
VfD, making changes to the front page and other
protected content, deleting unwanted user subpages,
etc. I guess in many ways a sysop is like a police
officer. They do not make the laws, but they enforce
them. However, what one person calls a power another
may call a privilege.

For many, enforcement itself is a privilege.

In general, we must all trust that sysops are doing a
good job -- and it seems that for the most part they
are. But where there is trust, there must also be
accountability. Individual decisions of sysops can be
judged -- although sometimes even this is challenging.
When a page is deleted immediately, who checks that it
should have been?

Even so, most individual decisions of Sysops can be
reviewed. (Do we really want to do that?) But there is
not really any way of reviewing a Sysops decision
trends. Does a sysop have a systematic bias against
certain users, certain article types (recipes?
conlangs?) or certain perspectives?

Are we doing a good job of maintaining accountability
for our Sysops? Are our methods scalable? Is there a
better method than periodic elections?

At the same time, are we giving our sysops the support
that they need to do their jobs? Do we have clear,
enforceable policies? Is the sysop's job well defined?
Do we recognize sysops who consistently do their jobs
well?

-Rich Holton  [[User:Rholton]]