[WikiEN-l] Re: Blocking without following policy

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 12 06:34:13 UTC 2004

Mark,

There is very wide acceptance that JRR is a reincarnation of a
previously banned user. That previous user was not banned for a funny
name, neither for content reasons, but for behavioral reasons.
Though it can't be proved, I think the reincarnation is of wide-clarity
to most of those who know the previously banned user.

Afaik, the question had been asked to the user if he was a reincarnation
(that step sounds really funny to me :-)).
Evidence with regards to reincarnation has been posted on the AC request.
So, I think the claim saying that these two steps have not been followed
is bogus.

''Where it is becomes clear that a user account is a "reincarnation" of
an existing banned user, the reincarnating account can likewise be
blocked.''

Banning policy allow a sysop or a group of sysop to ban such a
reincarnation. So, they are within their bounds of action as well.

I do not think the banning can be said unilateral as well, as several
sysops have banned him, or supporting his ban.

If you wish, we may discuss again of all this, but honestly, I think
evidence is sufficient and policy is allowing this.

I hope you will trust me on this, because I say it, adding that I am not
happy of this ban. I do not have the same opinion than the community
with regards to banning this user, but I also see that my opinion on the
topic is a very seriously minor opinion.

So, I prefer to look at the big picture :-)

------

Now, the question is (and that is a very good question) : should sysops
take such decisions, or should they wait for the AC to decide for them ?

As I said above, I think the policy leaves room for a group of sysops to
act temporarily, before the AC does.

Is it good ?
*yes, because AC is acting slowly. Participants are getting upset to see
reincarnations waiting for 2 months before "judgment" by the AC. It is
no good that participants become angry. In real life, there is similar
provision.... when someone is said to have done something deeply wrong
and is considered a potential threat to the society, he may be put in
jail before the judgment is made. He should be put in jail only if there
is enough evidence naturally. But this prevents damage to the society,
while giving time to judge fairly.
If there is a mistake, we should deeply apology to the wrongly-blocked
person, and re-consider how we are looking for evidence for next cases.

*yes, it is also good because power should be in the hand of people
first. Those doing the daily work. This is the wiki way.

Is it bad ?
*yes, it may be bad, if decisions are taken
**without enough evidence
**without clear community support
**Without respect for openness and diversity of opinion

Should we not respect these three points, then, there would be a danger.

I think the first point was amply provided in this case. If you are not
convinced, ask Uninvited Company (sigh).

The second point is perhaps a little less obvious. If you are not
convinced, why not starting a poll ? There is a policy supporting ban of
reincarnation. You are not certain it is a reincarnation ? You are not
sure the community is certain it is a reincarnation ? Well, ask people
what they think then.

The third point is probably the more tricky one. I am not always certain
we are entirely fair toward diversity of opinion. The last political
debates are not really convincing me we are respecting this very well
all the time. But that is the toughest point, and I have no reason to
think it is better handled by AC than by whole community. We all have
our personal bias, and only the addition of our bias will make a
balance. In this, I trust editors on the whole to achieve balance.

Heph and Guanaco agreed to wait for your feedback, so they did not
revert again the block. This was very nice of them. I think it is quite
bad to enter a blocking reversion war.
Now, please, consider the three points :
* do you need more information to convince you that enough evidence was
provided ?
* do you need more information to convince you that the block is
generally approved, as a temporary measure to wait for AC to deliver his
judgment ?

And
* do you think a centralised committee decision making is the only way,
or do you think groups of trusted sysops may act temporarily while
waiting for justice decision of AC ?

Anthere