[WikiEN-l] Can we ban 172 now? And VV too! (in response to Fred Bauder)

Fennec Foxen fennec at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 23:24:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 17:20:06 +0000, Abe Sokolov <abesokolov at hotmail.com> wrote:
> BTW, an aunt of mine was murdered by the Stalinist USSR. Aside from her one
> surviving sibling, the rest of her family was murdered by Nazi Germany. I
> don't need some senile, 1950s era U.S. McCarthyite throwback lecturing me
> about totalitarianism.

Fascinating family history, but not particuarly relevant to the
article. Insofar as the above paragraph is indicative of your personal
view, stances and opinions: I do not think you have gauged the
attitudes of your audience effectively. Language which appears to be
designed to make us think less of people in the manner which the above
paragraph seems to be attempting to sway opinion (in part through
association of the person in question with groups, movements, and
ideoligies which are potentially undesirable and in part through
indicating that the person's mental facilities are suboptimal) usually
backfire and result in the audience thinking less of the person who is
levelling such accusations. You should stop. It does not help your
cause.