[WikiEN-l] page protection policy

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 15:02:58 UTC 2004

Pierre Hentges wrote:

>SV is right that the current policy on page protection
>isn't great. Pages are often protected for a long time
>without any progress on the actual conflict. For example
>[[anti-American sentiment]] has been protected for nearly
>two weeks without VV and GBWR making the slightest effort
>to resolve their dispute, despite me trying to help. It's
>very frustrating for everybody else. The current policy
>just isn't conducive to conlict resolution.

Con for your otherwise good proposal:

* More bureaucracy. See [[m:instruction creep]] - the people causing
the problem won't read the instructions either, or we wouldn't have
had the problem in the first place.

One thing I've been wishing for lately is some way for third parties
to drag edit warriors to mediation. The recent combatants at [[Jew]]
and [[Anti-Semitism]] have mostly agreed to mediation (though they're
still extremely pissed off at each other), which is a big win. But it
took a *lot* of dragging. And we appear to have a shortage of
mediators ... (This is me not volunteering!)

- d.