[WikiEN-l] Blocking Policy - ban of IP address 203.166.76.237

Keith Maxwell cremedelacreme04 at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jul 2 09:43:53 UTC 2004

Folks,

I have been a member of WIkipedia forp approximately five months under the username capitalistroadster. On Wednesday night and Friday night Eastern Australia I attempted to create an article only to be advised that I had been blocked by administrator 21804 for vandalism. As I have not been warned for vandalism at any time, I can only assume that it was for the IP address 203.166.76.237 listed on the message.

A quick viewing of the blocked list shows that a user with a similar IP address has been blocked for six months for repeated vandalism. I do not dispute that this user should be banned for a lengthy period for acts which were obviously serious and repeated vandalism on behalf of that person or persons.

I am concerned that on the face of it, I will also be banned for six months. While there has been a couple of occasions where I have been unable to edit for the misbehaviour for this person, I was happy to wear it and resume editing when the ban had expired.

 Is there any way that I can change my IP address so that I edit again before 2005? What processes can legitimate users have when a person with a similar IP address use to change the problems in order to avoid being caught when a lengthy ban is put in place?

Thank you for your consideration of my concerns.