[WikiEN-l] Request for bureaucratship

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Feb 20 20:50:46 UTC 2004

I requested bureaucratship on the Request for Admins page, and I noticed
that a few people voted to oppose -- all for basically the same reason.
I'm too hasty and unilateral.

James wrote (there):

<< Oppose because of the unilateral ban of Wik less than 7 days before
this and the writing above saying he isn't a unilateralist, suggesting a
lack of recognition of his own tendency to act in haste. Also because he
continues to advocate unilateral banning on the mailing list. Ed, please
at least be consistent in your opposition to unilateralism, through your
deeds as well as your words in all places, not just this page. Once you
are, I'll support this. Until then, I don't think you're recognising how
you really act.>>

Okay, I'm officially going on record as saying that I completely oppose
unilateral bans. If it's not an emergency or a clear-cut, utterly
unambiguous example of "pure vandalism", then the admin should not click
the temp-ban link.

We're supposed to have all agreed on a formal and transparent procedure,
i.e., the Mediation and Arbitration committees.

I've been monitoring the temp-ban page ever since I realized I was wrong
to apply a unilateral ban to Wik. (BTW, thanks to Caroline and James for
gently awakening me to the error of my ways.) I un-banned one other user
whose "case" slipped by the committees; and no one saw fit to re-ban
him, either.

Let's all avoid unilateral bans, starting with me. I can't make this any
clearer.

Ed Poor