[WikiEN-l] Re: The integrity of Wikipedia

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 12 17:10:59 UTC 2004

Ed Poor wrote

>The doctrine that there is no absolute truth is usually called
"relativism". Bloom estimated that over 90% of incoming freshman at
America's best colleges subscribed to this doctrine. So it's an
important issue to consider at Wikipedia.

Really?  Did he give figures on how many had thought better of it by the end
of the 'best colleges'?  Does this tell one much about anything, except that
teenagers might still have a little to learn?  (Design of questionnaire to
test this: 'Is relativism correct?  Answer (a) Yes (b) No (c) Whatever.)

Actually, since the American academic system dominates the world academic
system (fact), and there has been this perceived turmoil recently, which
observers outside the USA may see rather differently, it is a disappointment
to me that no one has even started a [[culture wars]] article (I do see the
[[Culture Wars]] article).

The [[political correctness]] article seems quite interesting, but with
obvious flaws.  Trying to tie PC solely to Old Left attitudes seen through
New Left spectacles isn't going to work, since there is also the basic fact
that almost all traditional societies operate respect systems.

Well, none of us can actually fight on as many fronts simultaneously as we'd
like.  Sunir is probably right that a bit more supportive talk might reduce
the stated impressions that the fate of WP is to get stretched too thin.

Charles