[WikiEN-l] Re: The integrity of Wikipedia

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Thu Feb 12 16:49:10 UTC 2004

Ruimi replied to Theresa:

> Well, I don't know what exactly is "truth", I don't know if it
> covers much more than "2+2=4", but I'm sure that it's not
> helping much to say it would be different for each person. By
> definition, it's supposed to be shared by everybody. Am I
> mistaking?

The doctrine that there is no absolute truth is usually called
"relativism". Bloom estimated that over 90% of incoming freshman at
America's best colleges subscribed to this doctrine. So it's an
important issue to consider at Wikipedia.

We need to be clear on the distinction between NPOV and relativism. (See
my post of 5 minutes ago.)

Ed Poor