[WikiEN-l] Re: Known Trolls

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Tue Feb 10 06:53:10 UTC 2004

Peter Jaros wrote:

>One problem with bringing up a person's pre-Wikipedia history is that a
>reformed troll is likely to be, shall we say, tact-impaired.  Such a
>person is *more* likely to be falsely accused of trolling (remembering
>that trolling includes intent).  On the other hand, this history can
>greatly help arbitrators to decide how to deal with a user.  Many
>people are simply bad at garnering sympathy for their point; it's a
>skill not everyone has.  Simply accusing such people of trolling is
>likely to make matters worse and make the arbitrators' job harder.

The difference between being a troll or "tact-impaired" is minor
enough that for most practical purposes it isn't worth considering.

Personally, I think Wikipedia should try to move away from deterrence
strategies like bans, IP blocks and arbitration committees, and
toward a reputation-management system like they have at Slashdot or
Kuro5hin or eBay. A reputation-management system combines rewards
with punishments. What's missing from Wikipedia's system is any kind
of reward for GOOD behavior. Suppose, for example, we had a system
where other users could rate our contributions, and the more positive
your cumulative rating, the less scrutiny your edits are likely to
receive from vandal-watchers. If we had that sort of system, we could
focus monitoring for vandalism on people with low ratings. This would
also give users an incentive to keep their ratings high so they
wouldn't get hassled by others. Perhaps there could be other
incentives as well, e.g., a high rating automatically makes you a
sysop.

I think it would also be a good idea to set some kind of limit on the
number of contributions accepted per day from each anonymous IP
number -- a fairly small number, such as 5. Five contributions is
enough for someone to get a feel for how Wikipedia works. After that,
the software should tell them to register if they want to make
further contributions. This way the Wikipedia would remain inviting
to newbies but would add encouragement to enter the
reputation-tracking system. It wouldn't entirely stop anonymous
vandalism, but it would make it more difficult and would probably
eliminate most of it.

--Sheldon Rampton