[WikiEN-l] outside evidence and arbitration

Geoff Burling llywrch at agora.rdrop.com
Mon Feb 9 20:03:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Fred Bauder wrote:

> The question is: In the case of someone who is definitely not behaving
> themselves here, can other internet activities be considered as we try to
> deal with them? Especially in evaluating whether we are dealing with a
> lifestyle as opposed to limited situational offenses.

I agree with Fred on this (although I'd use the phrase "a clear pattern of
behavior" rather than "lifestyle"). If it can be shown that a given
individual who is causing problems on Wikipedia has in the past consistently
engaged in trouble-making behavior, then it should be considered by the
arbitration committee.

What I think I see a number of people get hung up on concerning this point
is the nature of "evidence". It's possible a given person can have a history
like the one we're hypothesizing, yet is trying to start afresh; but I
feel an important step in starting afresh is for that person to acknowledge
that she/he did do wrong, rather than to deny or want to exclude it from
consideration.

In other words, this should not be the only evidence, or the decisive piece
of evidence in deciding an arbitration.

Geoff