[WikiEN-l] Banning for bad edits

Charles Matthews charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 9 11:30:09 UTC 2004

Sunir Shah wrote

> Sure; the real issue is that RecentChanges is too
> overwhelming for effective peer review. I think it
> should be divided up so it might be conquered. I
> disagree with watchlists as they are perhaps too
> individualistic to encourage people to watch things
> they have not seen. Rather, you need RecentChanges
> to remain the Commons.
>
> The most obvious way to split it is by subject focus.

<snip>

I find myself not greatly in agreement with Sunir's description of a
'solution'; though what he says feels like the correct direction.  I may
exist as Wikipedian in some of the more placid parts; but I think the idea
of topic lists+use of RelatedChanges is about as good as it will get *on
average* across WP.  That is, such sub-communities as come together to
maintain lists and police changes to pages thus listed are going to be the
best warranty for the content, over most of the Wikipedia.  It's a kind of
nucleation and aggregation process, and works mostly on the basis of keeping
people who care coming back.

Charles