[WikiEN-l] Banning for bad edits

Sunir Shah sunir at sunir.org
Mon Feb 9 10:48:10 UTC 2004

Sascha Noyes writes:
> Lots of vandalism and copyright violations [and other
> unethical editing] sneak past the RecentChanges patrol.

Sure; the real issue is that RecentChanges is too
overwhelming for effective peer review. I think it
should be divided up so it might be conquered. I
disagree with watchlists as they are perhaps too
individualistic to encourage people to watch things
they have not seen. Rather, you need RecentChanges
to remain the Commons.

The most obvious way to split it is by subject focus.
I recognize categorization is philosophically problematic,
but I have what I think is a better idea called
DigestedChanges. I apologize this is still in sketch
form, but you might get the gist from

    http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?DigestedChanges

Essentially I propose making 'weblogs' of Wikipedia's
changes. Each group might build its own group weblog if
they wish, although that is simply better watchlists
again, it may attract people to read collaborated
digests if they are interested in a particular subject
field. If that fails, you can restrict which and how
many digests there are.

At least that would better organize the information
so it is 'digestable'.

SS