[WikiEN-l] Banning for bad edits

Rick giantsrick13 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 7 23:48:43 UTC 2004

<sarcasm> Sure.  People don't EVER use their Watchlists to make sure the garbage they put on a page didn't get deleted. </sarcasm>

Sunir Shah <sunir at sunir.org> wrote:Erik Moeller wrote:
>I banned Anthony after he repeatedly vandalized the same page, even though
>I had told him to stop. I immediately unbanned him after the matter was
>resolved. I am 100% positive that this was a perfectly appropriate action
>to take, with arbitration committee or without, and is backed up by
>precedent (BuddhaInside, RK etc.). Protection was not an option, because
>the page in question, a list of sites using our MediaWiki software, is
>supposed to be openly editable at any time so that sitemasters can add
>their site to the list.

A cheaper solution would have been to wait a while,
say a day or two, and then delete the problematic
text after the user had forgotten about the page.
Time is a more powerful weapon than banlists, and
it's free for everyone to use.

SS