[WikiEN-l] I propose a formula based on reverts

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Feb 3 17:24:46 UTC 2004

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>How about a simple formula, based on what percentage of a user's edits
>are reverted by other users? (We might tweak this by discounting reverts
>from a certain class of user.)
>
>For example, if new user Blatheration is reverted 30% of the time, he
>keeps newbie status. But if new user Jim Dandy has no reverts (except
>from newbies), promote him to preferred status.
>
>My only worry is that some highly motivated user will figure out a way
>to hack this system, in order to subvert or destroy it. So at first
>anyway we should not make it automatic but we could use the statistics
>when considering the granting of sysop rights.
>
>But the good thing is that tracking each user's "revert count" would
>enable us to identify edit wars in progress or to identify Edit
>Warriors. (Yes, of course we'd have to find a way to account for
>reversions of 'simple vandalism' so this wouldn't "count against"
>someone.)

This seems to be more trouble than it's worth.  To begin with we would
need an official definition of "revert".  Strictly speaking it means
reinstituting an older version of the article as found in the history of
the article.  An effective reversion can be accomplished by simply
editing an article back to its previous form based on what the person
has stored off-list in his own computer.

Ignoring reverts by newbies on others seems to create a circular
situation that depends on his having determined that someone is or is
not a newby.  Simply put, I don't think that this is workable in any
practical sense.

Ec