[WikiEN-l] I propose a formula based on reverts

Gutza gutza at moongate.ro
Tue Feb 3 17:42:31 UTC 2004

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>How about a simple formula, based on what percentage of a user's edits
>are reverted by other users? (We might tweak this by discounting reverts
>from a certain class of user.)

I like this idea. That is, as long as
(1) Nothing happens automatically due to these metrics (e.g. you fall
under a threshold, you get kicked)
(2) They are explicitly marked as what they are and no POV goes into the
explanations (e.g. calling a user's contributions/user's reverts ratio
his "WikiIQ", or explaining along with the proper rev/conv ratio that
it's recommended you stay below 0.1, or else).

I agree because I feel it would match the spirit of the Wikipedia: it's
just numbers, and they're true. If you want to interpret them in any
way, you're free to. But nobody's shoving these metrics anywhere.

I feel that opposing such metrics is somewhat like opposing the abortion
article -- the stuff is already there, we're just showing it. Yes, some
losers will definitely try to influence the results, but trying it out
would bring information on how to counter such attempts. And there are
plenty of statistical ways to deal with such issues. Not to mention the
opposite effect: I'm sure some will find improving their metrics a good
enough incentive to contribute considerably more, both in quantity and
in quality. (I know, it sounds ridiculous, but remember there's a whole
army of paying MMORPG players out there with metrics being almost the
sole incentive.)

The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the servers will be able to
crunch the numbers real-time.

--Gutza