[WikiEN-l] I propose a formula based on reverts

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Feb 3 15:54:33 UTC 2004

Fred,

You seem to think that I'm "proposing giving power to a set
of troublemakers." But this is not what I propose. Rather,
I propose using statistics to /identify/ troublemakers.

Granted that a simplistic formula would immediately backfire.
You and Theresa have correctly pointed out that raw percentage
(of times a contributor's edits is reverted) may indicate only
that he (or she) tries nobly to settle edit wars -- rather
than that they are stirring up trouble.

You would be far off base if you thought I proposed automatic
sanctions on users who got reverted a lot. Rather, I am
proposing that we track reversions and seek to discover
whether the statistics will tell us anything useful.

Key points:

* You can observe a lot by watching.
* The truth will set you free.
* Don't shoot the messenger.