[WikiEN-l] Re: The Facebook opens for buisness

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Fri Apr 30 22:39:01 UTC 2004

Timwi wrote:

> mapellegrini at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> I thought I'd let you know that the facebook ("Rogue's gallery" as
>> Andrewa humerously called it) is open at [[Wikipedia:Facebook]]. It's
>> a compilation of pictures of our contributors.
>

> The idea itself is pretty good, but the page already demonstrates that
> it doesn't really work because almost everybody is going to try to be
> special and either distort their image beyond recognition (e.g.
> LordSuryaofShropshire) or use something that barely even depicts their
> self (e.g. Anthère). To a non-Wikipedian, this kind of thing
> reinforces the belief that Wikipedia is run/controlled by a bunch of
> weirdos.

I was going to put up a picture of me in a tux, but now it's clear
that I need to stage a photo where I'm sitting in a leather-bound
chair in front of a wall of books, wearing a tweed jacket and
smoking a pipe while studying Hesiod's ''Theogony'' in the original
Greek.

That should be enough to counteract at least ten weirdos, although
I'm sure there will be people who will object to the pipe, the
Eurocentrism, the DWM-centrism, the paganism, etc.

:-) :-)

Stan