[WikiEN-l] Re: The Facebook opens for buisness

fabiform fabiform_wikipedian at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 15:50:41 UTC 2004

--- Timwi <timwi at gmx.net> wrote:

> The idea itself is pretty good, but the page already demonstrates that
> it doesn't really work because almost everybody is going to try to be
> special and either distort their image beyond recognition (e.g.
> LordSuryaofShropshire) or use something that barely even depicts their
> self (e.g. Anthère). To a non-Wikipedian, this kind of thing reinforces
> the belief that Wikipedia is run/controlled by a bunch of weirdos.
>
> Timwi

Huh?  There are one or two which are a little dark, and yes
LordSuryaofShropshire has played around with his photo a bit, but the vast
majority are straight shots.  I think that the facebook illustrates that
there's nothing magical about us as individuals, but that a bunch of disparate
and widely separated (geographically and culturally) people can come together
to do something amazing.

I've become a little obsessive about headgear recently (because of wikipedia),
so I would have to say that the fact that Anthere has chosen a shot of herself
wearing a cheche which (I believe) tells you something of her cultural heritage
probably tells you more about her than if it had been a plain photo - just like
Andrewa's photo shows he plays the drums and Tannin's shows he's a
photographer.

I really can't see that this page makes wikipedia seem more weird than all the
userpages do that these images were harvested from.

Fabi.