[WikiEN-l] Re: Use of noncommercial-only images

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 20 04:14:08 UTC 2004

Ray Saintonge wrote:

>Matthew Brown wrote:
>
>>Michael Snow writes:
>>
>>>For the types of uses for which US copyright law allows "fair use",
>>>
>>the Berne Convention
>>
>>>requires that the source of the work be mentioned.
>>>

>>A clarification I'd like: does *US copyright law* require the source be
>>mentioned?  Or is it the Berne Convention that requires it?
>>
>Does it matter?   If the United States has ratified the Berne
>Convention, then international law would have it that its provisions
>override contrary provisions in US domestic law.

The requirement is found in Article 10 of the Berne Convention. The
United States ratified the Berne Convention effective March 1, 1989. As
Ray says, that should make the requirement US law as well. And in any
case, I would prefer to see us complying with international law and not
relying on the crutch of "Our servers are located in the US, so that's
the only law that applies."

There is no independently codified requirement in US copyright law. This
is partly because in US copyright law, fair use is handled as a defense
claimed by the party accused of copyright infringement. As such, the
"fairness" of a use is decided on a case-by-case basis, and the
Copyright Act creates no specific requirements for fair use - it only
mentions some factors to be considered. The factors mentioned in the Act
say nothing either way about mentioning the source, so the problem is
not really a contrary provision, just the failure to explicitly
incorporate the requirement. I expect that even without considering the
Berne Convention, a court might look more favorably on a fair use
defendant who acknowledged the source openly.

>Nevertheless, the
>United States has often made the claim in many areas that the opposite
>is true, much to the annoyance of other nations.

Indeed, although from the perspective of copyright law, the bigger
sticking point has been the moral rights of authors.

>Whatever the law, citing sources remains a desirable practice.  The
>ability to trace a submission is the strongest evidence that we can have
>for establishing our rights to do what we do.

I agree with Ray and Jimbo. There are many good reasons to cite sources
- as a matter of ethics or just plain courtesy, and as good scholarly
practice to improve verifiability. It's good to cover our legal bases as
well, but that's hardly the only reason.

--Michael Snow