[WikiEN-l] naming convention on common usage

Adam [name omitted for privacy reasons] wikien-l at Wikipedia.org
Mon Nov 24 22:29:39 UTC 2003

About this time last year, I remember a lot of people arguing with me that we must use the most common terminology when naming a page; has this convention changed? Wik continues to revert my move of [[extermination camp]] to [[death camp]] -- is there any usage of "death camp" which does not directly, or indirectly, refer to the death camps of World War II? Google finds 6 times as many death camp articles -- surely that makes it clear which is more common?!

Some would be mediators are trying to "compromise" by turning [[death camp]] into a disambiguation where they note, "Some people call prisons with execution chambers, as death camps" -- does not that very statement make it clear that "death camp" is the most common usage. -- In any case, while "death camp" is used to refer to non-death camps (such as the prison at Guantanamo) -- its really very clear that such comparisons are deragatory and not to be taken literally. Furthermore, such comparisons are not expressed, "Guantanamo is an extermination camp!"; I think its very clear that death camp is the most common name.

I have asked repeatedly how to get my messages to display properly in the mailing list, please inform me.