[WikiEN-l] City names argument resurrected

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Mar 25 14:41:06 UTC 2003

Vicki, I stand corrected -- unless I can get a seat on
the Long Island Railroad (LIRR), in which case I "sit
corrected".

Perhaps it is more common among residents of Queens,
Nassau and Suffolk to hear Manhattan referred to as "New
York". On the LIRR, conductors making announcements in
Jamaica, Queens use "New York" to mean Manhattan, as
opposed to Brooklyn. I hear people in Queens and Long
Island say "New York" as often as "the City" to indicate
Manhattan, especially when talking about where they work
or where they're going for an evening's entertainment.

Context is everything.

Ed Poor