[WikiEN-l] Google search; donations/grants (was: WikiEN-l digest, Vol 1 #212 - 14 msgs)

Axel Boldt axelboldt at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 17:30:09 UTC 2003

--- Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:

>  Sheldon Rampton wrote:
> > If the search feature is slowing down the site, I think using
> > Google would be a satisfactory permanent alternative. We've been
> > using it for years at the PR Watch web site, with no complaints.
>
> I'm very much against this.

Me too. Our search is more up to date, more precise and doesn't have
ads. I don't think Google is a good permanent alternative.

> I hope we have the nonprofit setup soon, and if
> we can't get it setup, we should start raising donations without an
> organization. Kuro5hin raised 35000 dollars in a few days -- I'm not
> sure if we can get that high, but we should certainly try.

I don't think asking for donations is the way to go once a non-profit
is in place. The US is full of foundations that are happy to throw
money at half-baked proposals vaguely related to education. Pretty much
every billionaire sets up a foundation like that. You just write a
grant proposal and wait for the money to come in. Lots of people in
academia make their living that way. And we are talking at least an
order of magnitude higher than your figure above.

Axel