[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l digest, Vol 1 #212 - 14 msgs

Zoe zoecomnena at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 00:38:53 UTC 2003

Not only that, but it doesn't differntiate between a character string in a title and a character string in an article.  And it includes postings to the mailing list, which we may not want to publicize.
Zoe
 Erik Moeller <erik_moeller at gmx.de> wrote:> If the search feature is slowing down the site, I think using Google
> would be a satisfactory permanent alternative. We've been using it
> for years at the PR Watch web site, with no complaints.

I'm very much against this. Having search results in realtime is of
crucial importance for serious article work to avoid duplicates. The
Google spider only comes ever so often and misses a lot. PR Watch is one
thing, Wikipedia is a couple orders of magnitude bigger, though. As a
very, very temporary hack, the Google search is fine. But we need to get
the realtime search (with wikisource no less!) back up and running ASAP.

If we have to disable critical features to keep the site running, we may
as well disable editing altogether until we have raised enough money to
buy a bigger server and/or hire developers.

As for optimization, there are still a few things we need to do, but we
also have to keep in mind that a single server is now running all language
Wikipedias + meta, and all of them are growing fast (faster now that
Google indexes us again). I hope we have the nonprofit setup soon, and if
we can't get it setup, we should start raising donations without an
organization. Kuro5hin raised 35000 dollars in a few days -- I'm not sure
if we can get that high, but we should certainly try.

Regards,

Erik