[WikiEN-l] Serious problems with an anon user

Sascha Noyes snoyes at gmx.net
Fri Mar 7 18:50:05 UTC 2003

Hi all

I hate to have to bring this here, but I've had major annoyances with user
128.193.88.55. (furter referred to as '55')

Here's what happened:

1) 55 deleted various factual information from [[current events]] news
stories. These facts (whether they are right or wrong) were stated as fact in
the news stories that were linked to. These included publications such as CNN
and the washington post.
(witness the changes made by 55:
http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Current_events&diff=728672&oldid=728668
and
http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Current_events&diff=728706&oldid=728687)

2) 55 also made a few really bad quality POV edits of other peoples news
stories (witness:
http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Current_events&diff=728646&oldid=728640
and
http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Current_events&diff=728668&oldid=728664)

3) I hence reverted 55's changes saying that they should be backed up by
credible sources. (the factual information that 55 deleted being backed up in
such a manner).

4) I then added 55 to [[Wikipedia:annoying users]], because i believe that it
is important to be able to track users who make such qualitatively bad edits,
and to tell others to keep an eye on them as well.

5) 55 deleted my comments about him/her from [[Wikipedia:annoying users]],
saying that he/she had justified their claims on the current events talk
page. Infact, the user only restated his opinion and did not give any outside
sources to back up his edits:
http://www.wikipedia.org/w/wiki.phtml?title=Talk:Current_events&diff=0&oldid=728788

6)I moderated my original post on [[Wikipedia:annoying users]], and added
another post asking 55 not to delete my posts.

7)55 deleted both my posts.

8) I moderated my posts again, adding a third one containing the bold
sentence: "If you delete this a third time, I will report it to vandalism and
make the suggestion of banning you to a sysop. --snoyes 17:41 Mar 7, 2003
(UTC)"

Here I am.

In summary, it does not matter as to who is factually correct on [[current
events]], but rather that 55 deleted my legitimate messages on
[[Wikipedia:annoying users]] about 6 times (and counting). Notice also that I
did not put him/her on [[Vandalism in progress]], even though 55's deleting
my posts on [[Wikipedia:annoying users]] clearly is vandalism.

Please give me your thoughts, and excuse me for taking so much of your time
with this issue.

Best,
Sascha Noyes
- --