[WikiEN-l] Re: Viewing non-Roman characters

Richard Grevers dramatic at xtra.co.nz
Thu Mar 6 06:46:32 UTC 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003 20:40:48 -0800 (PST), Zoe
<zoecomnena at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I can't see any of the characters in Japanese and Chinese articles.  Is
> there a site I can go to download the fonts so that I can see the
> characters?

What browser do you use, Zoe? If it's Mozilla(etc) or Opera, you need only
install the appropriate unicode fonts.
(the best resource is http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/fonts.html ).
Microsoft have withdrawn their download page for Arial Unicode MS (which
was "free" providing you owned an Office or Publisher license), but I
believe that sourceforge now has equivalents.
If, however, you use IE, you will need to install "language support packs"
(which are really bloody great patches to your operating system.) I hope
you have broadband if you want CJK!
--
Richard Grevers