[WikiEN-l] Re: Do we really want to confuse every American who reads the Wikipedia?

M Carling m at idiom.com
Mon Mar 3 06:03:51 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2 Mar 2003, Zoe wrote:

> But this is the English wiki, and as such, only the format used in English-speaking countries applies.  What's anti-European, anti-African (except for English speaking countries) is of no consequence.  It's true that the British, Australian, New Zealand version, etc., may be different.  I don't know what Canadians use.

Except for North Korea, show me a country that is not an English-speaking
country.  It is, for good or bad, the standard international language and
the standard language for reference material on this planet.  Even the
French and the Chinese have mandatory English classes for all school
children.

Making the Wikipedia confusing or ambiguous or both to 96% of the
readership in order to please the eccentric tastes of 4% doesn't strike me
as good judgement.

M Carling