[WikiEN-l] 'AIDS Kills Fags Dead' slogan

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Mon Mar 3 04:43:46 UTC 2003

On 3/2/03 11:18 PM, "james duffy" <jtdirl at hotmail.com> wrote:
> The Cunctator's claims on the 'AIDS Kills Fags Dead' slogan cannot be
> allowed to stand.

Um...

> 1. The people he said support his stand don't. Most agreed on the talk page
> that the change made was correct.

A specific example of where my assertions are incorrect would be
appropriate.

> 2. It is debatable whether such an article belongs on Wiki at all. But what
> is not debatable is that it does not under any circumstances belong under
> the name 'AIDS kills fags dead' slogan.
It is indeed debatable--I debate it, sir.

> 3. There was full agreement on the move. The Cunctator UNILATERALLY screwed
> up everyone else's contribution by deciding UNILATERALLY to change the name
> of a page from one there was general agreement on to one there was general
> disapproval of, but which seemed to be his pet name for the page.

The "putting something in caps makes it true" argument, the non-specific
passive voice, "everyone". And incorrect statements.

It isn't my pet name, but a name suggested in form by Tarquin and first used
by AxelBoldt.

> 4. As to the claim that he didn't know where Stevertigo stood, it was
> Stevertigo who RENAMED it to the agreed name. If that doesn't indicate where
> he stands I don't know what does.

Okay. I was going by his comments on the talk page, which I found confusing.

> 5. Having changed the name against the will of the people working on the
> page, the Cunctator then DELIBERATELY created his own personal content for
> the [[Homophobic hate speech]] page to ensure that nobody else could return
> the page to the agreed name.

Ah, the "will of the people". Not against the will of the person who created
the page, clearly. Not against my own will, and I'm one of the people who
worked on the page. I put no personal content on the homophobic hate speech
page. Rather, it entirely contains content created by others (other than a
brief summarization of the AKFD history).

I do admit that my action was partly motivated as a tactic for stopping the
article-moving tennis match. I do think, more importantly, that a general
[[homophobic hate speech]] article is a good idea.

> By any standards, The Cunctator's behaviour is outrageous. His determination
> against the opinion of others (including some who initially agreed with him
> but who then sided with the new name) to change the article title, and keep
> changing the title when it was reverted back to the agreed name, to a
> version that many people find offensive, that Jimbo Wales had issues with,
> and about which there was universal agreement that it should not be used, is
> bizarre and utterly contrary to the principles of Wiki and the concept of
> consensus which had built up against him.

More non-specificity and passive voice.

I doubt James will believe me, but I'm not trying to outrage him. I just
think he's wrong.