[WikiEN-l] 'AIDS Kills Fags Dead' slogan

The Cunctator cunctator at kband.com
Mon Mar 3 03:51:48 UTC 2003

On 3/2/03 10:24 PM, "Zoe" <zoecomnena at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Cunctator insists on having an article at [['AIDS Kills Fags Dead' slogan]],
> despite many other people's objections.  There seemed to have developeda
> consensus that the article be called [[Homophobic hate speech]], but Cunctator
> decided unliaterally to change that.  We need a decision that everybody can
> live with.

Since Zoe is bringing up an issue on the mailing list that Jimbo has already
agreed to look into, and is mischaracterizing my actions, I'll reply.

I am not the only person who believes that the article should not be called
"homophobic hate speech". Thus, my decision--to maintain the status quo, no
less--was not unilateral, a claim Zoe has made on three different forums
now.

This issue is being hashed out through discussion on the pages, development
of a new [[homophobic hate speech]] article, and Jimbo's eventual
involvement.

There's no need for my actions to be impugned.

I would also like to point out Zoe's use of the passive voice ("there seemed
to have developed a consensus..."), an excellent rhetorical device to
deflect responsibility and refutability. The parties involved are few enough
that active statements can be made.

Like so:

Jtdirl feels very strongly that this entry title should not exist, and has
argued that Wikipedia may be up for legal liability for having it.  Mav
considers that the title's offensiveness outweighs the limited significance
of the specific topic. AxelBoldt and The Cunctator think that the entry is
appropriately named and properly specific. KF thinks it's fine. Eloquence
thinks the subject isn't significant enough to have its own entry. Stan
Shebs found the entry directly useful. It's hard to tell what Vert thinks.
Other people have weighed in without indicating a strong preference one way
or the other, while discussing the merits of the various arguments.

And evidently Zoe is offended.