[WikiEN-l] Pronunciation guides

Mirko Thiessen mt at mirko-thiessen.de
Fri Jun 27 08:22:56 UTC 2003

Hello,

I know that the pros and cons of pronunciation guides have been discussed
before, but that was (AFAIR) before the Wiktionary project. I just had a
new discussion with Arpingstone (if you can call this a discussion) about
this topic:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Arpingstone

It appears to me, that a guide how to pronounce a word would rather belong
to the Wiktionary project than to Wikipedia. In Wiktionary the
pronunciation appears to be a regular paragraph, while it is in Wikipedia
in one per thousand articles. What are your opinions about this?

In the above example Arpingstone added a sentence to the Bremen article:
"The 'Bre' of Bremen rhymes with 'clay'." I removed that sentence, mainly
because it is at most a rough approximation of the correct pronunciation.

Mirko (Cordyph)

--
Mirko Thiessen
http://www.mirko-thiessen.de