[WikiEN-l] a spot for WP textbook devel

Karl Wick karlwick at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 21:17:00 UTC 2003

Hi, I'd like to ask a developer to open up a spot on
Wikipedia to start developing Wiki textbooks. I have a
physics book that is part written and bits of an organic
textbook that I started on Wikipedia before it was deleted
("Wikipedia is not the place for textbooks"). Maveric149
suggested I write to the developers asking for a blank spot
to be opened at http://textbook.wikipedia.org until a
permanant name for the planned Wiki textbook site could be
arranged.

I would be honored and grateful if you could fulfill my
request. Thanks!

Karl Wick (User name:Karlwick)

>When I came accross Wikipedia I thought that its
underlying software and concept would be great for putting
my physics book on the web. If other people have a similar
idea I'd rather be part of the larger effort. Maybe my
organizational or "visionary" ideas are not of use to you
right now but if you can help me have a place to start
getting stuff on the web, I'll do it, and it wont be bad
stuff. (I dont have much IT background so it would probably
take me a real long time to figure out how to do all of the
technical part anyway). BTW I think that hypertext
textbooks will eventually be even better learning tools
than the traditional ones ... and am eager to start proving
it. ---Karlwick

>If you are eager to get to work then ask a developer via
the mailing list to set-up http://textbook.wikipedia.org
with a blank Wiki. We can use what you have already to work
out organizational issues and hopefully in time we can
think of a snappy name that will help draw-in contributors.
The worst thing that would happen is that nobody will be
very interested in the idea and that wiki will be a lonely
place (like our Sep11wiki). --Maveric149