[WikiEN-l] FW: Advisories and saying goodbye -- long

Julie Kemp juleskemp at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 16 21:11:43 UTC 2003

Hello all --

I sent this out a week ago, but have been having e-mail problems, so
don't know if it was received; nevertheless, I am still of the same
mind.  Moreover, having paid attention to the discussion on the subject
of filters, etc., I cannot say that anything has happened except to
convince me that anyone really gives a shit about the initial question.

The initial question/suggestion was to place a visible advisory that the
wikipedia contains information that some people might find
objectionable.  From there, there were many straw men raised about the
POV-ness of "objectionable".  Me, I agree that lots of stuff might be
objectionable (-- and so what?), but that there are certain (mostly)
sexually explicit articles that your average surfer might not expect to
find, and that even a fairly conscientious parent (or child, in Jimmy's
case) might miss when glancing over the site for age-appropriateness (or
even some kind of family-imposed moral or religious code -- unless KQ,
Erik, et al. mean to suggest that parents should not be allowed any say
in when they want their children intentionally exposed to certain
information -- religious, political, sexual, whatever, by religious,
atheist, or just plain
struggling-through-something-far-too-easy-to-screw-up-and-don't-need-inp
ut-from-strangers parents, that is).

The entire conversation has been not-very-subtly changed to be one over
filters and wikipedia-imposed censorship.  It's one that I consider to
be total bullshit, by the way -- well-calculated deviation that blurs
any dealing with any type of deeper social responsibility.  Some of you
have managed to prove that Thatcherism is not dead (you know, the nice
lady who said "there is no such thing as 'society'"?).  Nor is the
ridiculous world of Ayn Rand, where one can pretend that one's actions
have no wider consequences than those other people allow them to have.
How utterly depressing that so many people who consider it important to
write very good articles that raise awareness of the global
interconnections of scientific, political, and religious issues (among
others) refuse to accept that their own actions (or refusal to act)
might also have widespread effects.  How very sad that the very people
who consistently argue for NPOV try to use it as some kind of shield of
non-censorship, thus forcing their own POV on others.  Please don't say
you aren't -- there have been all too many "religion and prudery damage
kids, and they'd learn this stuff anyway, so it might as well be right"
arguments to deny it.  What is more NPOV than to say clearly on the main
page that the wikipedia respects the fact that people operate under many
different value systems, and that there may be information on the site
that could be objectionable?

Oh -- and BTW, if we stuck to "wikipedia is not a dictionary", most of
the articles that make a lot of wikipedians squeamish would be deleted
anyway -- my guess is that no one wants to be seen as less than
open-minded.  Felching is certainly a dictionary-type definition.

And also -- DW is dangerous in any form.  I'm almost positive he was
also Triton, and Jacques Delson.  The time he takes from other people's
efforts is hardly worth any contributions.  HJ also made some very good
contributions.

Anyway, as I say below, I'll check the list until my requests below are
answered.  Thanks and peace.

JHK