[WikiEN-l] bird names etc.

JFrost8401 at aol.com JFrost8401 at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 06:21:15 UTC 2003

I promised myself that I wouldn't get involved again in this, but I've
weakened.
Hi all

I raised the point previously as to how this will be decided, with has more
relevance now that Mav seems to be retreating from his previous position. If it
is a straight numerical thing, the American view is bound to prevail, despite
the fact that the proponents of lower case contribute so little to actually
writing the wildlife articles.

Are we also going to insist on standardising names, so that the lead article
has to be Common Loon, rather than as at present, Great Northen Diver (with a
redirect).. and as for spelling! ( incidently, the group article is Loon - I
wouldn't want to be chauvinist about this).

The problems with using scientific names for the article titles have I think
been adequately dealt with, but in any case wouldn't help in the text. You
can't really write about Anas platyrhychos instead of Mallard.

yours in deep gloom

Jim