[WikiEN-l] This is the English Wikipedia

Daniel Ehrenberg littledanehren at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 01:10:54 UTC 2003

Awlthoh that wuznt reelee fuhnehtik, I agree with Steverigo in priciple. The only problem is that we are trying to create an encyclopedia (not insyklohpeedeeuh) that is, in most ways, similar to others. That's really what it comes down to. If you want to convince Fred that Internet-encyclopedia should use pseudo-phonetic spelling, then fine. Stevertigo isn't trying to promote illiteracy, he's trying to do a very noble thing to start a movement to make English more regular and accessable. Actually, I'm trying to do the same thing. It would be nice to collaborate with Steveritigo on first making English easier and then making a wikipedia in that language.
--LittleDan

Robert <rkscience100 at yahoo.com> wrote:
Stevertigo writes:

> I think this is nonsense. Proper English is a product of
> specialization. English is not the property of English
> speakers, but a lingua franca that everyone owns.

Pseudo-academic, pseudo-egalitarian nonsense. That's the
same kind of talk that has damaged the education of much of
the inner-city youth in America. Only in the last decade
have educators finally had the nerve to attack this point
of view, and to correct the course that our schools were
making.

Frankly, it is also racist in effect. This kind of attitude
has created two generations of poorly educated Hispanic and
Black youth in American cities. I couldn't think of a
better plan for the KKK to promote if they want to keep
racism alive forever.

> Hence, its destined to become simplified phonetic -
> scratch that - fonetic speling iz tha furst thing laikli
> tu hapen tu English - or it should. Someday soon.

This isn't about ownership, racism or colonialism. It is
about writing article in English, for people who speak
English.

And frankly, many of our articles are being damaged by
people with good intentions, but who have poor English
reading or writing skills (or both.)

In Stevertigo's bizarre universe, it is egalitarian to
encourage this illiteracy, which in the end would produce
unreadable articles. In our universe, we are trying to
ecudate an English speaking audience.

It is your choice what kind of encyclopedia we should try
to produce. I know which path I prefer.

Robert (RK)