[WikiEN-l] Re: WikiEN-l digest, Vol 1 #431 - 16 msgs

Stevertigo stevertigo at attbi.com
Mon Jun 9 05:05:23 UTC 2003

No, I agree - I was commenting on the general subject - and its meandering
from the core issue - namely appropriate self-censorship - within the
confines of a percieved need for such self-censorship. I was wrong to single
out one small comment by you (Kq) as an example of too much detail -
forgetting to make a basic, clear argument against this case , which is "the
perception of explicitness (at this time, in our culture)."

This is a very different time in world culture - far removed from sexy piano
legs and Elvis hips.  But every single popular figure since Shakespeare (and
before) has contributed to the same cause - namely, the elevation of the
vulgar (common) to the level of the acceptible. The Victorian era is indeed
dead (The Queen is Dead)
thank goodness, and with it can go some of the pretentions that previous
generations had to live with.

I agree that there should be some standards here - but in a nutshell, I'd
remind people not to trip too much. Once again, apologies for singling you
out Kq for being unclear - my real point was that *everyone was being
unclear.

-SM