[WikiEN-l] poor writing skills of some non-english speaking wiki contributors

cprompt cprompt at tmbg.org
Mon Jun 9 01:49:04 UTC 2003

james duffy wrote:

> Pending a rewrite, a tag line could be added (similar to the 'contents
> is disputed' line already used) at the start of the article,
> indicating that this is a first draft and is being updated and edited
> to achieve a comprehendable form of english. That way, someone finding
> the article on a google search would not think its standard is
> reflective of wiki as a whole.

The problem is that what is proper English can be very subjective, and
that pretty much all of the pages on Wikipedia are considered to be
drafts, subject to later revision. Google searches might reveal a
poorly-written article, but it could also reveal one of those "YEAY JOSH
IS GAY" pages. We should just keep our own standards up and hope that
others realize that the nature of Wikipedia is that we'll have some
Brilliant Prose, and some articles that are sub-Brilliant Prose.