[WikiEN-l] We need a way to deal with AOL vandals THIS year

Anthere anthere6 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 6 12:03:27 UTC 2003

Michael Becker <wikipedia at jumpingjackweb.com> wrote:
I have to agree with this. Something needs to be done.
In addition, I would like a new feature (I'm not asking for much am I?
:). I would like a special shared watchlist. This watchlist would be
used for watching articles that have been vandalized by vandals like
Michael. I have found that he always goes back to the same [type of]
article. Basically, there would be an option (for sys op's only) to add
a page to vandal hotlist (or something).

And why would that be for sysops only ? Why would not regular users feeling that a page has been vandalized by a known vandal be trusted ? What of the "trust by default" wikipedia concept ?

I guess that *that* page would be under enough scrutiny not for it to be protected.

I fear you consider only sysops are doing cleaning work. This is not true, and is a dangerous idea. Everyone is welcome to do clean up. Sysops just have additional tools to clean better and quicker.

Keep up with the good work anyway