[WikiEN-l] naming convention for birds and others

JFrost8401 at aol.com JFrost8401 at aol.com
Wed Jun 4 11:06:04 UTC 2003

In a message dated 04/06/03 11:48:07 GMT Daylight Time, fredbaud at ctelco.net
writes:

> The only problem I can see with this policy (which is that in titles the
> proper name in English of a species is capitalized) is that links from text, to
> link directly, would have to also be capitalized in that text. This is
> contrary to the usual usage, as species names are not proper nouns and ought not
> to be capitalized in text.
>
> Fred

If you look at the majority of the fauna articles, the text links are there,
or potentially there if a link has not been made. Try [[hummingbird]] or
[[whale]] for example. One practical problem with reverting from the current policy
is that literally thousands of text changes would have to be made (with the
additional problem that some would still be partially capitalised, eg Wilson's
Phalarope, because of the proper name.

hope this helps

Jim (jimfbleak)