[WikiEN-l] Re: Fred's supposed nasty comment from JTDirl

james duffy jtdirl at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 1 22:22:13 UTC 2003

>I continue to object to sysop status for JTDirl. Take a look at the nasty
>comment on my talk page:
>
>http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Fred_Bauder especially on the last
>line:
>
>"lol FearÉIREANN"

For the record:

1. I left no nasty comment on Fred's page. When checking out how wiki list
references show up on google, I came upon on rather nasty link that exists
regarded Fred Bauder. I left a message on his page telling him of the link
because I thought as a colleague that he should know it existed. I told him
that though we had disagreements I thought that particular link was wrong
and unfair to him. I suggested that if we blocked list pages from google
searches, that link might disappear. It was something that I had written on
the list about, and I thought then and believe now that that unfair link to
Fred's name highlighted the dangers of direct links to the list. I made
other suggestions as to how we could avoid anyone else being wronged in the
way Fred was being in that google search. Finally I suggested that, in case
a new link connected to that message from me on his wiki page and so gave
another source to the reference to 'Fred Bauder and academic dishonesty', he
should feel free to delete my message. How is that nasty?

2. My name is FearÉireann, which meaning in gaelic ''Man of Ireland'', the
gaelic version of my previous english language usernic, ÉIREman. I thought
it fitting to use my national language in my usernic.

3. Lol was intended to mean, as it does and is used by many wiki users,
'Lots of love', ie, an expression of goodwill.

I fail to see where Fred's paranoia about my message came from. All I did
was tell a colleague that I had come across an unfair google link to them
and made it clear just how unfair I thought it was, as well as making a
suggestion about how that link could be broken. I cannot understand how an
act of professional courtesy and concern for the reputation of a colleague
could be seen as a 'nasty comment'.

JT