[WikiEN-l] FW: Regarding Advertising on Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jun 1 20:55:41 UTC 2003

Toby Bartels wrote:

>You know, I wouldn't mind such an advertising system.
>But I'd still oppose instituting one.
>
>The reason is that I don't trust such things not to expand,
>especially when we'd get paid for expansion directly in cash.
>For Americans, I can think of no better warning than
>the growth of advertising of public radio and television.
>What used to be "The following program is sponsored
>in part by General Motors, this station, and viewers like you."
>has become professionally produced 15-second spots
>with full colour and moving pictures.
>Still *less* advertising that on commercial TV,
>but otherwise not *different*.

Sigh!!  Non-profit projects can easily become addicted to advertising.
 The more they receive, the more they feel that they need.  It might
come across that we need one more server, or that we need to pay someone
to admisnister the finances, or whatever ...  If the need for these
goodies becomes strong enough we end up even more at the mercy of
advertisers.

Assuming that the foundation ever does get established, sound financial
management by the entire community will be worth a lot more than
advertising revenue.  If, at that point, the members can't secure an
adequate funding plan without commercialization, then maybe the
commitment isn't there and the project shouldn't exist anymore.

Ec