[WikiEN-l] FW: Regarding Advertising on Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Jun 1 16:54:07 UTC 2003

Michael Becker wrote:

>An interesting way to offer advertising, would be to offer to let people
>sponsor pages.  This is done with Highways, (i.e. This section of
>highway sponsored by such and such).  I think many users would like this
>idea, and would sponsor pages they contributed heavily to, and you could
>offer packages for "advertisers" outside of the project like mentioned
>above, (using some sort of algorithm to figure out what pages are
>relevant) and then offer a price per page type thing.

sounds like the thin edge of the wedge to me.

For anything like this to be considered seriously we would first need a
responsible discussion of Wikipedia finances, and the development of a
business plan.

All ( :-) !) our present sources of funding are opposed to advertising.
 Co-incidentally, I happen to agree with that position, so I'm not about
to complain against my own interests.

Ec