[WikiEN-l] Oh, I give up

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Tue Dec 9 00:20:15 UTC 2003

Ed-
> Oh, what's the use! No one listens to me anyway. Cunctator picks apart
> everything I say and ignores my main points just because I don't start
> right. Erik (on the talk page) puts words in my mouth.

I don't think I put words in your mouth. In any case, maybe you should
stop trying to be everywhere at the same time and understanding every
dispute that goes on. Don't take this mediation thing too seriously. The
idea is that there will be a central place - a message board, for example
- where people can go if they want help. I don't think mediators should
necessarily actively seek out disputes and try to help. Nobody can
complain that you are condescending if they ask you - or rather, the
mediation team - for help. I think your quick poll on Talk:Silesia was a
good idea.

One fundamental problem is also that if the person trying to mediate has
already established an opinion on the subject in question, they may not be
accepted in the same fashion as someone who approaches a dispute with
their hands clean. So you may make a comment and feel like everyone should
treat you like the unbiased mediator, while people perceive you as being
on either side of the dispute. Whether you anticipated that or not, I
believe the mediator function compels you to be even more careful with
expressing strong opinions.

Regards,

Erik