[WikiEN-l] How and When is Arbitration Invoked?

sannse sannse at delphiforums.com
Mon Dec 8 12:00:14 UTC 2003

> > Fred Bauder wrote:

> > First, is hope of mediation abandoned in this case?

> Angela wrote:

> I think mediation has already been tried. Both Ed Poor
> and I have e-mailed him and many users have tried
> communicating with him on his talk page, but he now
> seems to make no contributions other than comments on
> talk pages criticising and provoking RK.

But did you try as individual users or as part of the mediation committee?
I think (hope!) that people will react differently to an approach by the
mediation committee than to what they might see as random input.  So maybe
any "official" mediation needs to start with an introduction of the
mediator(s) and an explanation of the role of the mediation committee.  I
think it also needs to start with an agreement from both parties to work
with the mediator(s).  I can't see this working at all without that step.

I'm still not really clear how this is supposed to work anyway.  Are we to
mediate individually, perhaps with assigned conflicts?  Or should the
mediation committee as a whole be directed to a conflict to start mediation?

Do we have a page set up yet explaining the role of the mediation committee?
I'll set one up at [[Wikipedia:Mediation committee]], it can be deleted if I
missed one elsewhere.

Regards

sannse

p.s.  you might have noticed, I'm pushing for us to be a committee - seems
an appropriate commentary on our likely effectiveness   </pessimism>