[WikiEN-l] contributions of User:Mr-Natural-Health

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Dec 5 01:21:16 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>>>From his user page:
>>
>>>under "modified pages"
>>>"Alternative medicine - I cleaned up this article. I removed the anti-bias
>>>and made it pro-alternative medicine."
>>>
>>>under "Interests"
>>>"To get important natural health related information and definitions in an
>>>Internet accessible encyclopedia / dictionary."
>>>
>>>It is clear that /his/her/its purpose is to inject their POV and remove
>>>that of others.
>>>
>>So he's trying to put his own spin on things.  How is that so different
>>from what most Wikipedians are trying to accomplish?  Announcing areas
>>of interest is pretty normal.
>>

>But doesn't that first one go pretty far beyond announcing an area of
>interest?  We don't want articles to be "pro-alternative medicine" or
>"anti-alternative medicine".
>
>Certainly, if he came across an anti-biased article, and made it more
>neutral, that's wonderful, not a problem at all.  But if his intention is
>to make it pro-, hmmm, not really right, eh?

How precise are people when writing to their own user pages?  I don't
pay much attention to mine, while others seem diligent in trying to take
credit for every contribution they make.  He might have said "made it
*more* pro-alternative medicine" and it would have seemed less absolute
by adding just one word.  What I found remarkable about the articles was
(at least a couple days ago) the lack of activity on the talk pages.

There are serious difficulties in dealing with any kind of alternative
science topic.  There is a tendency for the supporters of mainstream
science to believe that there way is the only right way even when there
is no evidence to that effect.  Often there is no convincing evidence at
all.  This does not mean that every weird and wonderful idea that comes
along should be treated as serious science, just that critics of the
mainstream view should be accorded their fair share of respect.

Ec