[WikiEN-l] Re: Mainstream of science

Sheldon Rampton sheldon.rampton at verizon.net
Tue Dec 2 05:59:27 UTC 2003

Ed Poor wrote:

>The question is: What is "mainstream science"?
>
>1. Money

[SNIP]

>2. Journal Articles

Money and journal articles both correlate positively with mainstream
science, but journal articles are a better indicator. If a particular
idea isn't being published at all in the peer-reviewed journals (as
is the case with so-called "creation science"), that's a clear
indication that the idea falls outside mainstream science.

Of course, someone has to _interpret_ those journal articles.
Scientists speak a specialized language, so explaining what the
articles mean may require some translation for lay people. Moreover,
not all scientific papers are equal in significance. For example, a
short-duration health study involving a small number of people is
considered less significant than a long-term study with a large
sample size. Scientific expertise is obviously helpful in assessing
how much weight each piece of published research deserves within the
larger body of research on a given topic.

One common mechanism used by scientists for this purpose is a
"consensus panel" or "consensus conference," which convenes when
expert opinion has converged on a single answer to a previously
controversial question.  The panel's job is to officially state the
consensus so it can be gotten out to the less-expert. The experts are
selected from among the leading researchers in the field, chosen to
reflect the range of viewpoints that exist in that field. They hold a
series of meetings, discuss the relevant published scientific
research on the topic at hand, and put together a report.
Occasionally a panel will be convened when opinion has not completely
converged on all aspects of a question. In this case the panel's job
is to see what everyone can genuinely agree on and what sorts of
hedge statements are acceptable for the rest. Once in a while there
will be an agreement to disagree in certain areas, and if so,
typically the majority view is published accompanied by an appendix
detailing the dissenters' positions.

In the United States, the National Research Council (the working arm
of the National Academy of Sciences) is the body that generally
convenes consensus panels for the purpose of provide expert reports
to policymakers. Many of its reports are published e-books, which
anyone can read online (or download in their entirety, sometimes for
a fee). If you'd like to see a fairly typical example, here's one
that they did in 2002 that looks at the impact of automobile fuel
economy standards on motor vehicle safety:

http://www.nap.edu/catalog/10172.html

The International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) is basically an
extremely large consensus panel (with some 2,000 participants). Their
published reports (along with similar reports that have been
published by smaller scientific panels) are the basis for saying that
there is a "scientific consensus" on global warming. That's term
"consensus" is absolutely, if it is understood to mean that consensus
panels have convened and published their conclusions. However, Ed may
be interested in looking closely at specifically _what_ the IPCC
reached by way of a consensus. Here are a couple of examples that I
posted here previously, taken from their latest report:

>In the light of new evidence and taking into account the remaining
>uncertainties, most of the observed warming over the last 50 years
>is likely to have been due to the increase in greenhouse gas
>concentrations.

>Emissions of CO2 due to fossil fuel burning are virtually certain to
>be the dominant influence on the trends in atmospheric CO2
>concentration during the 21st century.

Although these are "consensus" statements, they do acknowledge
uncertainty. The IPCC uses the term "likely" to mean that the
probability is higher than 66%. The term "virtually certain" means
99% or higher. This means that the IPCC thinks there is a possibility
(of 33% or less) that the observed warming over the last 50 years is
due to some cause _other_ than greenhouse gas concentrations. In
science, there are no "certainties," only probabilities. Even
commonplace scientific "facts" such as Einstein's theory of
relativity are regarded as theories. Even though the likelihood of
its being false is vanishingly small, science can't entirely rule out
that possibility. (Absolute truths only exist in religious dogma and
other faith-based belief systems. They have no place in science.)

If Ed wants to ensure that the uncertainties related to global
climate research are adequately reflected in the global warming
article, I think the best way to do this would be to accept the
IPCC's standing as a consensus body, and write the article so that it
reflects the degrees of uncertainty actually stated in the IPCC's own
report. This would be more productive, more accurate, and more likely
to lead to consensus under Wikipedia's NPOV rule than trying to
juxtapose the IPCC against Fred Singer's op-ed pieces for the
Washington Times.
--